Saturday, September 10, 2016

7,634 Words


I've posted five chapters so far, and my word count is 7,634 words.  That means my average is 1,526 words per chapter... which means my average chapter length is right at 6 pages, just like I had guessed.

I'm on track now... keeping up with my self-imposed deadlines.

So why do I feel as if I'm lagging behind?

I think it's because when I began this project, I was several chapters ahead.  Now, I'm "right on time," finishing each chapter shortly before it's due to be published online.

For those of you interested in my process (and I suppose someone might be), here's how I'm working on this novel:  I've already written an extensive outline -- complete with some dialogue, and many complete scenarios (I learned this from James Patterson).  What I'm doing now is refining that outline, turning each section into an actual chapter.  As I change things from the way they originally appeared in the outline -- characters, settings, situations -- anything can change, really -- I have to make changes all the way through the outline.  So... when I'm not writing actual chapters, I'm revising the outline.

It really, really, really helps to have an outline.  I've honestly never used one before -- not for fiction writing -- and I'm amazed at how much easier the actual writing flows once you have an outline in place.  It may not work for everyone, but if you haven't tried it, I strongly recommend it.  I never believed I needed an outline before.

But I now believe my outline is the main tool that will allow me to finish this novel.

[By the way, I have no idea what number is represented by the clip art I used at the head of this post.  I'm not even sure what sort of mathematical device is pictured.  It may or may not be an abacus, but it certainly isn't oriented (pun intended) in the same direction as the ones I played with in math class as a child.  The ones I'm familiar with have beads that move up and down ("heaven" is up, and "earth" is down) rather than side to side.]

No comments:

Post a Comment